SEEFOR 2 (1): 23-32
The Attitude Towards Hunting of the Local Population from Two Settlements in Suburb of Skopje, Macedonia
Goce Nikolovski 1*, Makedonka Stojanovska 2, Marina Miovska 2
1 PE MF department for hunting planning, Skopje, Macedonia
2 University St. “Kiril and Metodij”, Faculty of Forestry, Skopje, Macedonia
NIKOLOVSKI G, STOJANOVSKA M, MIOVSKA M 2011 The Attitude Towards Hunting of the Local Population from Two Settlements in Suburb of Skopje, Macedonia. South-east Eur for 2 (1): 23-32. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15177/seefor.11-03
Background and Purpose: The object of this paper is to investigate what kinds of perception towards hunting the local non-hunters population from settlements of Dolno Lisice and Dracevo have, their attitudes towards hunting activities and moreover of hunting as an economic activity.
Material and Methods: Based on a survey method with using a questionnaire, the research is conducted between February 21st and 23rd, 2010 on the area of suburb of Skopje, the capital city of Macedonia. The analysis reveals public opinion, obtained from 67 interviewees, as a representing part of the investigated area. For this purpose a questionnaire with 11 questions is prepared and in order to be included biggest possible number of residents and to access bigger response, except door to door mail approach is used also. The gathered data are processed with manual recording obtaining quantitative data on the attitude of interviewees.
Results and Conclusion: Results reveal that most of the male population are going on hunting for benefit, unlike most women who hunt for sport and recreation. This analysis shows that hunting is quite widespread in this region and almost all respondents reported they know someone who is a hunter. Moreover in this case it is interesting that despite the big number of males of this region and female inhabitants as well have expressed desire to go on hunting.
Keywords: hunting, public opinion, public attitude towards hunting
- WOOD W 2000 Attitude change: Persuasion and social influence. Annu Rev Psychol 51: 539-570. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.51.1.539
- AJZEN I 2001 Nature and operation of attitudes. Annu Rev Psychol 52: 27-58. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.52.1.27
- HEBERLEIN TA, WILLEBRAND T 1998 Attitudes toward hunting across time and continents: The United States and Sweden. Game Wildl Sci 15 (3): 1071-1080
- HRUBES D, AJZEN I, DAIGLE J 2011 Predicting Hunting Intentions and Behaviour: An Application of the Theory of Planned Behaviour. Leisure Sci 23 (3): 165-178. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/014904001316896855
- Annual statistical report 2010, Republic of Macedonia p 27
- LOHR C, BALLARD WB, BATH AJ 1996 Attitudes toward gray wolf reintroduction to New Brunswick. Wildlife Soc B 24 (2): 414–420
- DAIGLE JJ, HRUBES D, AJZEN I 2002 A comparative study of beliefs, attitudes, and values among hunters, wildlife viewers, and other outdoor recreationists. Hum Dimens Wildl 7 (1): 1-19. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/108712002753574756
- AGEE JD, MILLER CA 2009 Factors contributing toward acceptance of lethal control of black bears in central Georgia, U.S.A. Hum Dimens Wildl 14: 198-205. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10871200902877829
- BEH A, BRUYERE BL 2007 Segmentation by visitor motivation in three Kenyan national reserves. Tourism Manage 28 (6): 1464-1471. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2007.01.010
- VASKE JJ, HOWE R, MANFREDO MJ 2009 Enhancing the understanding of human-mountain lion management strategies using the potential of conflict index. Paper presented at Carnivores 2009: Carnivore Conservation in a Changing World, Denver, Colorado.
- VASKE JJ, NEEDHAM MD 2007 Segmenting public beliefs about conflict with coyotes in an urban recreation setting. Journal of Park and Recreation Administration 25 (4): 79-98
- GLIKMAN JA, BATH AJ, VASKE JJ 2010 Segmenting Normative Beliefs Regarding Wolf Management in Central Italy. Hum Dimens Wildl 15 (5): 347-358. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10871209.2010.505598
- EAGLY AH, CHAIKEN S 1993 The psychology of attitudes. Fort Worth, TX: Harcourt, p 794
© 2015 by the Croatian Forest Research Institute. This is an Open Access paper distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0).