SEEFOR 3 (2): 87-96
Original scientific paper
Perception of the Local Population toward Urban Forests in Municipality of Aerodrom
Aneta Blazevska 1*, Katerina Miceva 1, Biljana Stojanova 1, Makedonka Stojanovska 1
1 University St. Kiril and Metodij Skopje, Faculty of Forestry, Skopje, Macedonia
BLAZEVSKA A, MICEVA K, STOJANOVA B, STOJANOVSKA M 2012 Perception of the Local Population toward Urban Forests in Municipality of Aerodrom. South-east Eur for 3 (2): 87-96. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15177/seefor.12-10
Background and Purpose: With the development of both society and economy, environmental issues have become a more popular topic. In recent decades both the role and perception of urban forests have changed regarding recreational and environmental aspects on both a local and global level. This coupled with urbanization places great importance on how people see and value the forests in an urban and peri-urban setting. Visitors are not a homogeneous category and hence have different needs and perceptions of urban and peri-urban green spaces. The study aims to understand the visitors` perception from municipality Aerodrom towards urban forests and their recreational use, benefits, preferences and perception regarding management activities of urban forests.
Material and Methods: The method used for the research is qualitative with semi-structured questionnaire which was conducted face to face. Gathered data were analyzed by Excel and after that were presented in tables and graphs for better review of the results. The study area was municipality of Aerodrom which has the biggest space under urban forests per capita in Skopje.
Results and Conclusion: Results have shown that all respondents have permanent residence in the municipality of Aerodrom, located in different settlements and with the length of stay mainly between 5 to 40 years. There is a dominance of female population and respondent’s age over 40 in the research. Results also showed that the average number of visit in urban forests by respondents during the week is three times. Regarding the meaning and association of term urban forests, results showed that majority of respondents have a clear and concise perception, and mainly this term for them is association on park and greenery, a nice decorated environment and place for walk. When it comes to the way how current situation with urban forest can be improved almost all of the respondents highlighted it can be through the following things: maintenance of the urban forests by the public enterprises to be set on a much higher level, more trees and flowers to be planted, more toilets and playgrounds to be built, and local government to forbid companies of building apartments and houses close to the urban forests.
Keywords: urban forests, perception, local population, municipality, urban green space, peri-urban green space
- DAVID D V 2002 Surveys in Social Research. 5th Edition, Routledge, p 379
- KONIJNENDIJK CC, RICARD RM , KENNEY A, RANDRUP TB 2006 Defining urban forestry- A comparative perspective of North America and Europe. Urban For Urban Gree 4 (3-4): 93-103. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2005.11.003
- COST Action E12, Urban forests and trees, Technical annex. Available at: http://www.consilium.europa.eu/ueDocs/cms_Data/docs/dynadoc/out/cost/en/COST_AT_E12.PD (Accessed: 15 October 2012)
- MILLER RW 1997 Urban forestry: planning and managing urban green spaces. 2nd Edition, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, pp 31-35
- BISTA R 2009 Institutional involvement and peoples’ perception towards urban forestry, A case Study of Lalitpur Sub-metropolitan City. A. B.Sc. Forestry Research Thesis Submitted to Tribhuwan University, Institute of Forestry, Pokhara, Nepal, p 46
- PEARCE DW 2011 The Economic Value of the Forest Ecosystems. Ecosyst Health 7 (4): 284-296. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1526-0992.2001.01037.x
- ROBINETTE C, GARY O 1972 Plants People and Environmental Quality. USA department of the Interior, National Park Service, Publisher: Washington DC
- BENTSEN P, LINDHOLST AC, KONIJNENDIJK CC 2010 Reviewing eight years of Urban Forestry & Urban Greening: Taking stock, looking ahead. Urban For Urban Gree 9 (4): 273-280. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2010.06.003
- LAWRENCE A, JOHNSTON M, KONIJNENDIJK CC, VREESE RD 2011 Briefing paper 3: The governance of (peri-)urban forestry in Europe. Presented at Workshop on sharing experiences on urban and peri-urban forestry, Brussels, 28th January 2011 Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/fore/events/28-01-2011/lawrence_en.pdf (Accessed: 20 October 2012)
- TYRVÄINEN L, PAULEIT S, SEELAND K, VRIES S 2005 Benefits and uses of urban forests and trees. In: Konijnendijk CC, Nilsson K, Randrup TB, Schipperijn J (eds) Urban Forests and Trees, Springer, Berlin, pp 81-114. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/3-540-27684-X_5
- SANESIA G, CHIARELLOB F 2006 Residents and urban green spaces: The case of Bari. Urban For Urban Gree 4 (3-4): 125-134 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ufug.2005.12.001
- URBANIZATION AND GLOBAL CHANGE 2006. Available at: http://www.globalchange.umich.edu/globalchange2/current/lectures/urban_gc/ (Accessed: 12 October 2012)
- Census of population households and dwellings in the Republic of Macedonia 2002 State statistical office Republic of Macedonia (Accessed: 14 October 2012).
- NOVA MAKEDONIJA 2012. Available at: http://www.novamakedonija.com.mk/NewsDetal.asp?vest=71312911434&id=14&prilog=0&setIzdanie=22629 (Accessed: 10 November 2012)
- OPŠTINA AERODROM 2009. Available at: http://www.aerodrom.gov.mk/tl_files/aerodrom/vesnik_pdf/leap.pdf (Accessed: 14 October 2012)
- SCHROEDER HW 1989 Environment, behavior, and design research on urban forests. In: Zube E H, Moore G T (eds), Advances in environment, behavior, and design, vol. 2. New York: Plenum, pp 87-117. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4613-0717-4_4
- COLES RW, BUSSEY SC 1999 Community forestry in an urban context—progressing the social agenda conference paper. In Community Forestry, a Change for the Better, Countryside Agency, Guildhall, London,7–8 December
- SCHMITHUSEN F, WILD-ECK S 2001 Uses and perceptions of forests by people living in urban areas: ﬁndings from selected empirical studies. Forstwissenschaftliches Centralblatt 119: 395-408. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF02769152
- HERBERT WS 1990 Perceptions and preferences of urban forest users. Journal of Arboriculture 16 (3): 58-61
- UN-HABITAT 2004 The state of the world’s cities 2004/2005 Globalization and urban culture. United Nations Human Settlements Program (UN Habitat). Available at: http://www.unhabitat.org ( Accessed: 5 October 2012). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5860/CHOICE.43-1272
- WEKERLE G, WHITZMAN C 1995 Safe cities: Guidelines for planning, design and management. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2747/0272-36188.8.131.520
- MARCUS CC, FRANCIS CA 1998 People Places: Design Guidelines for Urban Open Space, Published: John Wiley & Sons, New York
- CHUBB M, WESTOVER TN 1980 Antisocial behavior: typology, messages, and implications for recreation resource managers. In: Proceedings of LandUse Allocation: Processes, People, Politics, Professionals (Spokane, WA)
- SCHROEDER HW, ANDERSON LM 1984 Perception of personal safety in urban recreation sites. Leisure Research 16 (2): 178-194
- KONIJNENDIJK CC 1999 Urban forestry: comparative analysis of policies and concepts in Europe. Contemporary Urban Forestry Policy-Making in Selected Cities and Countries of Europe. Working Paper 20. European Forest Institute, Joensuu, Finland, 1999, p 266
- HUNTER IR 2003 What do people want from urban forestry? - The European experience. Urban Ecosyst 5 (4): 277-284 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/A:1025691812497
- SEGEREN AJH, VISSCHEDIJK PAM 1997 Het recreatief gebruik van SBB-terreinen in de regio Brabant-West, IBN-rapport no. 264. IBN-DLO, Wageningen
© 2015 by the Croatian Forest Research Institute. This is an Open Access paper distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0).