- Download PDF - 

SEEFOR 1 (1): 42-50
DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15177/seefor.10-05

Original scientific paper

Morphological Variability and Quality of the Seed and Seedlings of Different Provenience of Beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) in Bosnia and Herzegovina

Faruk Mekić 1*, Ćemal Višnjić 1, Sead Ivojević 1

1 Forestry Faculty University of Sarajevo, Sarajevo, Zagrebačka 20, 71000 Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

* Corresponding author: e-mail:

Citation:
MEKIĆ F, VIŠNJIĆ Ć, IVOJEVIĆ S 2010 Morphological Variability and Quality of the Seed and Seedlings of Different Provenience of Beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) in Bosnia and Herzegovina. South-east Eur for 1 (1): 42-50. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15177/seefor.10-05

Cited by:        CrossRef        Google Scholar

Abstract

Background and Purpose: In this paper was researched the morphological variability of seed and one-year seedlings of beech of different proveniences from the major part of its natural dispersing in Bosnia and Herzegovina (from the Bužim, Bugojno, Banja Luka, Bosansko Grahovo, Posušje and Olovo).
Material and Methods: There were researched: length (l), width (w) and mass (m) of the seed, of the deducted parameters was calculated the coefficient of the shape of seed which was presented by relation of length and width of the seed (Cl/w). On the seedlings were measured the diameter at the neck of the root (Dnr) and height of the seedlings (H).
Results and Conclusion: The largest seed was identified in the provenience Banja Luka (l=16.17 mm, w=8.15 mm, m=0.275 g), while the smallest was in provenience Bosansko Grahovo (l=15.47 mm, w=7.22 mm, m=0.143 g). Mean values of the mentioned indicators of seed for all proveniences from Bosnia and Herzegovina were: mean length of seeds 15.65 mm, mean width of seeds 7.91 mm, average mass of the seeds 0.218 g. Coefficient of the shape of seeds (Cl/w) had the mean value of 1.99. Seedlings of beech were the most developed in the provenience Olovo (Dnr=3.50 mm, H=12.49 cm), and the smallest dimensions had the seedlings form the provenience near Posušje (Dnr=2.83 mm, H= 9.38 cm). The mean diameter of the seedlings of beech for all proveniences was Dnr=3.16 mm, mean height H=11.54 cm. Results of the conducted researches point to expressed morphological variability of seed and seedlings of the researched proveniences of "Bosnian" beech which points to the needs for established horizontal and vertical seed regions of this species in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Keywords: beech, seed, seedlings, proveniences, morphological variability

REFERENCES

1. KAJBA D 2003 unutarpopulacijska i međupopulacijska varijabilnosto obične bukve. In: Matić S (ed.) Obična bukva (Fagus sylvatica L.) u Hrvatskoj. Akademija šumarskih znanosti, Zagreb, p 247-255
  2. STOJANOVIĆ LJ, KRSTIĆ M 2005 Gajenje bukovih šuma. In: Bukva (Fagus moesiaca /Domin, Mally/ Czeczott.) u Srbiji. Udruženje šumarskih inženjera i tehničara Srbije i Šumarski fakultet Univerziteta u Beogradu, Beograd
  3. KLEPAC D, LUKIĆ N, GALIĆ Ž, BOŽIĆ M, MEŠTROVIĆ Š, ČAVLOVIĆ J 2003 Uređivanje bukovih šuma. In: Matić S (ed.) Obična bukva (Fagus sylvatica L.) u Hrvatskoj. Akademija šumarskih znanosti, Zagreb, p 443-530
  4. MATIĆ V, DRINIĆ P, STEFANOVIĆ V, ĆIRIĆ M 1971 Stanješumau SR BosniiHercegovini prema inventuri na velikim površinama u 1964 – 1968. godine. Šumarski fakultet Univerziteta u Sarajevu i Institut za šumarstvo, Posebna izdanja 7: 144-173
  5. PINTARIĆ K 2002 Problem prevođenja izdanačkih šuma bukve (Fagus sylvatica L.) u visoku šumu. Sumar list 126 (3-4): 119-128
  6. VIŠNJIĆ Ć, MEKIĆ F, VOJNIKOVIĆ S, BALIĆ B, IVOJEVIĆ S 2009 Analiza stanišnih uslova i optimiranje uzgojnih mjera u panjači bukve na lokalitetu „Musići“ kod Sarajeva. Radovi Šumarskog fakulteta Univerziteta u Sarajevu 1: 63–83
  7. ROTH V, DUBRAVAC T, PILAŠ I, OCVIREK M 2005 Prilog poznavanju rasadničke proizvodnje obične bukve (Fagus sylvatica L.). Rad Šumar inst 40 (2): 207–214
  8. GRADEČKI M, POŠTENJAK K, LITTVAY T 2003 Neke morfološke i fiziološke značajke sjemena bukve. In: Besendorfer V, Kopjar N (ed) 8. hrvatski biološki kongres s međunarodnim sudjelovanjem, Hrvatsko biološko društvo 1885, Zagreb, p 196-197
  9. MATIĆ S, ORŠANIĆ M, ORLIĆ S, ANIĆ M 2001 Sjemenarstvo, rasadnička proizvodnja i šumske kulture obične jele (Abies alba Mill.). In: Prpić B (ed) Obična jela u Hrvatskoj, Akademija šumarskih znanosti, Zagreb, p 375-393
  10. ŠMELKOVA L 1969 Zakladanie lesa. Tehnicka univerzita vo Zvolen, Zvolen, p 239
  11. STILINOVIĆ S 1985 Semenarstvo šumskog i ukrasnog drveća i žbunja. Šumarski fakultet Beograd, Beograd, p 399
  12. ŠIJAČIĆ-NIKOLIĆ M, IVETIĆ V, KNEŽEVIĆ R, MILOVANOVIĆ J 2007 Analiza svojstava semena i klijavaca različitih provenijencija brdske bukve. Acta biologica iugoslavica - serija G: Acta herbologica 16 (1): 15-27
  13. REYMENT RA 1985 Multivariate Morphometrics and Analysis of Shape. Math Geol 17 (6): 591-609. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF01030855
  14. KREMER D, KARLOVIĆ K, JURIŠIĆ-GRUBEŠIĆ R 2008 Sezonska varijabilnost ploda i sjemena širokolisne veprine (Ruscus hypoglossum L.). Sjemenarstvo 25 (3-4): 193-205
  15. ISAJEV V, MANČIĆ A 2001 Šumskosemenarstvo. ŠumarskifakultetBanjaLuka, ŠumarskifakultetBeograd, Banja Luka, Beograd, p 280

© 2015 by the Croatian Forest Research Institute. This is an Open Access paper distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0).